Supervisor (Resin Plant) – Hammersdale
Supervisor (Resin Plant) – Hammersdale
Supervisor (Resin Plant)
The purpose of this role is to supervise the Resin Plant Team, utilising all resources available to meet customer demands within agreed time frames and thereby ensuring alignment to operational objectives and business/company objectives overall.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
The following list is not exhaustive and other duties and responsibilities of a similar nature may be required:
- Maximising resources while always ensuring the safe conditions of the plant and its operators and that all operations are carried out in accordance with company operating procedures whilst adhering to all appropriate Health, Safety and Environment policy and legislations.
- Responsible for process safety as a whole for Resin Plant. All processes, procedures and work instructions to be regularly reviewed to assess hazards and related process safety risks. Contingency and preventative measures to be implemented for all operations and staff to be trained and be made aware of this regularly. All process incidents to be fully investigated and documented to establish root case and implement preventative measures. Ensure that you and your Safety Representative attend all HSE meetings and contribute at the meeting as well as give prompt feedback to staff.
- Meet the Production schedule through the allocation of work to members of the shift/team.
- Ensure that the shift/team operates within the procedures laid down in the ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 management systems and that all staff are fully aware of what is expected of them.
- To ensure that all data, whether written or captured on the computer, is actioned promptly and accurately and truly reflects what occurred.
- Assist in the effective management of the plant through the immediate advising of the Plant Manager of any matter that may affect the safety, efficiency or normal running of the plant.
- Supervise and maintain a high standard of responsible care and housekeeping consistent with company requirements and 5S and assist the Production Manager in the training of Operators.
- Consistently seek ways of improving our manufacturing and associated processes to provide both internal and external customers with a superior level of service.
- To ensure that all waste is handled and disposed of in the responsible manner as stipulated in the latest company policy and protocols.
- Report batch cards accurately on the ERP system when required to do so.
- Ensure priorities are set daily for each shift with clear objectives.
- Ensure overtime work is planned in advance. (Compliance with O.S.H Act and Labour legislation).
- Ensure that maintenance issues are raised on time and resolved within time frames, based on priority ranking.
- New batch cards to be given at least 48 hours in advance of commencing. Verify that all batch cards are correct with the correct dates before printing.
- All raw material shortages to be reported to line managers immediately and the CAPA raised accordingly.
- To be on call as long as the plant is operational. Occasionally provide cover for Senior Team Leaders (after hours) and weekends as required.
- Ensure that MDW charts are updated daily, meetings are held at least 3 times per week and targets are reviewed every 6 months.
- Ensure that OTIF laid down by the ERP system for all orders is met.
- Coaching, training, guiding, and mentoring of all reportees.
- Behave in a manner in line with the company values and participate in the consultative and democratic process within the community and support the decisions of the community body.
- To perform any other reasonable tasks to meet business objectives.
The incumbent needs to adhere to and promote the Commonwealth and Company values of Fairness, Responsibility, Teamwork and Commitment values, and take a leading part in promoting their positive development in balance with the economic performance of the Company in the long term.
Skills, Knowledge & Aptitude
- Attention to detail and the ability to work under pressure within time constraints.
- A good understanding of the whole business process.
- S/he must be numerate, computer literate and be competent in the operation of ERP systems.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of working within defined Environmental, Health & Safety procedures.
- Ability to identify training needs & development opportunities to enhance the overall performance of the department.
- Knowledge of the requirements of meeting production schedules whilst complying with HSE legislation.
- Knowledge of permit to work systems.
- Knowledge of participating in root cause investigations of HSE/Quality incidents and identification of countermeasures to prevent recurrence.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (2010) and the ability to operate confidently in a computerised environment.
- Knowledge of working in the chemical industry
- Ability to analyse Scada reports to identify reasons for deviations and abnormal conditions.
Qualifications & Training
- Matric with Maths and English
- Tertiary Qualification
- A Production Management Diploma
- BTech Chemical or Mechanical Engineering
- ISO9001 / ISO14001auditor
- Project Management
- Hazop / Hazchem training
- Knowledge and understanding of the OSH Act and Labour Legislation.
- 4 – 6 years’ experience in the chemical industry.
- Minimum three years’ experience managing a team of 3 – 5 operators successfully.
- SAMTRAC / FMEA
- Consultative & flexible approach in dealing with others.
- Quality and detail conscious.
- Methodical approach to work.
- Able to work under own initiative.
- Team Worker.
- Able to deal effectively with conflicting demands to tight timescales.
- Assertive and results orientated.
- Resilient & tough-minded when facing challenges.
- Successful previous experience of dealing with others in a multicultural environment.