QC / Plant Support Chemist – Hammarsdale
Supervise the daily running of the Quality Control Laboratory, ensuring optimal utilisation of resources. Providing technical expertise and support to the plant through regular analysis of process and test data plus good collaboration with the Process Engineer, thereby justifying recommendations in striving for continuous improvements and migrating towards a quality assurance operation.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
The following list is not exhaustive and other duties and responsibilities of a similar nature may be required:
- To maintain a superior standard of HSE and 5S consistent with Company and Statutory requirements.
- Active participation and engagement in HSE duties in contributing to a zero LTA site.
- Lead and promote Lean methodology and 8W programs to drive positive change.
- Ensure ISO certification systems are maintained and fully supported.
- To ensure efficient running of the Quality Control Laboratory with optimal utilisation of resources to support a lean plant operation.
- To ensure consistent and regular statistical analysis of data as a contribution to continuous improvement of plant operating processes and right first time.
- Work closely with key stakeholders, to identify quality problems and offer innovative technical solutions through thorough and methodical evaluation of data and process information.
- Play an instrumental role in transferring plant to plant technology, by collaborating with the local Process Engineer and international counterparts to ensure a seamless transition.
- Compilation and submission of monthly reports on or before the stipulated deadline.
- Fully support the migration from Quality Control to Quality Assurance through a detailed formulated Site Quality Plan.
- Active involvement in investigation of customer complaints and submission of responses within the best timeline.
- Undertake projects as dictated by evolving business requirements.
- Communicating and collaborating with international counterparts to adopt and implement best practices.
- Document and motivate annual budgetary requirements.
- Lead, develop and inspire a small team to deliver best results.
- Constantly explore new and innovative ways to reduce material and process waste. Ensure responsible handling and disposal of waste in line with company protocol.
- To comply and adhere to principles of Process Safety Management, reporting any abnormalities within your immediate role and all other associated operational activities.
- Always act in the best interest of the company. Behave in a manner in line with company values and participate in the consultative and democratic process within the community and support decisions of the community body.
- Be willing to fill-in for resource short-falls as and when required.
- Stand-in for the SHEQ Manager when the need arises.
- Perform any other reasonable tasks to meet business objectives.
Skills, Knowledge & Aptitude
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Excellent numeracy skills.
- Competence in Microsoft Word, Excel PowerPoint, Office 365 & Outlook.
- Development and compilation of standard operating procedures.
- Competent in testing of resins & composite products according to stipulated test methods.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proven ability to prioritise and organise a demanding workload.
- Accurate and methodical approach to work with excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to analyse data using suitable programmes.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of polymer chemistry as well as batch processing.
- Good decision-making skills.
- Good, positive attitude towards HSE.
- Good knowledge of ISO Quality and Environmental Management Systems.
- Good team-working and interpersonal skills with evidence of prior effective involvement in cross-functional teams.
- Good knowledge of test equipment and trouble-shooting abilities.
- Knowledge of Polymer Emulsions, Saturated and Unsaturated resins.
- OHS Training modules
- Coaching & mentoring of staff
- Energy and drive, quality driven
- Knowledge of plant processes.
- Training & presentation skills.
- Sustainability and waste management knowledge.
- Good planning and time management skills.
- Process Safety Management
- Incident investigation and reporting
- Conflict resolution
Qualifications & Training
- Chemistry degree as minimum
- Sound knowledge of laboratory safety.
- Experience in a chemical laboratory.
- Polymer development knowledge.
- In-depth knowledge of resin chemistry.
- OHS Training.
- Report writing
- Project Management
- Six Sigma
- Polymer development.
- Plant batch processing.
- Experience of working in the chemical industry in a Production Plant or in a relevant field.
- Experience in data recording, monitoring and reporting skills.
- Experience of working effectively as part of a team.
- Demonstrable previous experience in a laboratory and testing environment e.g., Exothermic Endothermic Reaction Azeotropic and Fractional Distillations, Reflux, Distillations, Autoclave (vacuum or pressure), mixing, blending and pressure processing.
- Demonstrable experience in developing products to meet customer requirements using suitable processing methods and other relevant procedures.
- Ethical and reliable
- Good manners
- Strong leadership skills
- Confidence in driving a strong team.
- Team Worker
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good listening skills
- Planning and Organising
- Self-motivated and results driven.
- Following instructions and procedures
- Achieving Personal Work Goals and Objectives
- Conscientious & committed.
- Quality and safety conscious
- Excellent timekeeping.
- Strong integrity and personal ethics aligned to the company principles.
- Flexible with working hours to cover additional workload.
- Willingness to support other Managers to achieve business requirements.